Wednesday, May 04, 2022

May 2022

1 May 2022.  I normally take a walk every day ranging through field, wood, lanes and footpaths within about half a kilometre of home (TQ782188).  I always take the camera and usually find something to photograph.  Here I thought I might try a sort of daily picture diary.



Germander speedwell (below) in flower is now quite abundant.  The name 'germander' comes from ancient Greek, via Old French and Old English, and means 'oak leaved'.  The leaves were thought to resemble those of oak bu, as you can see in the picture, it is not a very good fit.



The distinctive croziers of soft shield fern (below) are now unrolling.  There are two plants on Jessmond's boundary, one in the north east corner of our garden,  I also know of one in Killingan Wood and there is a good colony along the south west part of Killingan Stream.



2 May 2022

No comments: